Monday, April 28, 2008

A Truly Bad (new biz) Pitch


We all know flacks get hammered for poor pitches, but I recently received one from an agency that could use some work. By way of background, I am a corporate flack with no agency. I am responsible for all of our media coverage. This person at the agency knows this. This is and excerpt of the email pitch I received:

Dear [Flack4Food],

I've noticed that [your company] has not received a lot of traction in the business press. I would like to talk to you about ways that my agency may be able to help.

First, I will argue with him on the business press front. No need to go into details, but let's just say the company has come a long way over the past year or so.

The main point, however, is that when pitching a corporate flack, don't insult him by implying that his/her team is somehow not getting the job done. You should use the same approach I use during media training. No matter how horrific the subject is, I usually say something like, "That was really good. Now let's talk about ways we can make it even better."

A better way for this guy to word the above email would have been:

Dear [Flack4Food], I've noticed that you've received some excellent coverage lately that is impressive for a one-man shop. Have you consider how engaging an outside agency could help you get even greater results? I have a few ideas I would like to discuss with you.

Much better. He flatters me and proposes that he can help me do my job even better. It sometimes can be difficult, but unless you are pitching a brand new VP of marketing, be careful not to fall into the (easy) trap of trashing their past work as a way of building yourself up.

0 comments: